Installing an auto carpet is not rocket science, brain surgery, or even rocket surgery for that matter. It may seem daunting at first, but once you get the ball rolling, it becomes very do-able for any motivated do it yourselfer. In my case, the previous owner had removed the carpet long before I got the truck. This made my life easier because I only had to do half of the dirty work.
Let’s get started shall we?
1) Begin by removing your carpet from the box that it was shipped in, and let it unroll back into its original shape. If you can do this for a few hours in the sun, that is great. If not, a warm and cozy basement will suffice.
2) Once the carpet is in its rightful shape again, hop in the car and begin removing the seats, the kick panels, and the door sill trim. The seats usually have 4 decent sized bolts holding each one in. In the case of bench seats, there are 4 bolts holding the entire seat in. Don’t forget the seat belts. They are often driven into the floor with Herculean strength at the factory, and have an electrical connector to guarantee the annoying “no seatbelt” beeping sound.
3) Once those parts are completely removed, you may have to remove the console, shifter, shifter boot, and possibly a few other odds and ends. Do that, and keep track of all the screws and bolts. Sandwich bags are great for this, and extremely cheap. If you are really organized you may be so bold as to label the bolt & screw bags with a Sharpie marker.
4) Now that all of the important interior parts are scattered across your driveway & yard, it’s time to gather up the buried treasure. This is always the most disgusting fun part of the job because you find all of those missing things that have eluded you for the past few months & years. Action figures, $4.37 in US coins, some foreign currency, an entire bowl of cereal, a pair of sunglasses, and a heaping mound of disturbingly new looking French-fries are just a few things that you may come across.
5) On second thought, just vacuum that stuff up.
6) It is officially time to pull the carpet out!