Door handles snapping off, reduced engine power, and suspension problems are some of the common issues experienced on the 3rd generation of the Cadillac Escalade, years 2007-2014. All of these problems have symptoms, causes, and fixes that we’ll cover in this article.
Top 5 Issues on the Cadillac Escalade (2007-2014)
1. Broken Door Handles
Symptoms of Broken Door Handles
- Outside door handle breaks off if pulled forcefully from the wrong angle
- Inside door handle chrome can break and cause cuts
Causes of Broken Interior and Exterior Door Handles
One of the top five problems on the Cadillac Escalade is the outside door handles tend to break and separate from the door if pulled too hard from the wrong side. Door handles on the 07-14 Cadillac Escalade should be pulled from the side closer to the rear of the vehicle.
The chrome on the inside door handles is known for peeling off the handle. It can crack in ways sharp enough to cut, so it’s important to replace them once the chrome breaks.
How to Fix a Broken Interior or Exterior Door Handle
- The interior door handle can be purchased separate from the door panel
- There are no known recalls for a broken door handle on the 3rd gen Cadillac Escalade, but the interior and exterior door handle can be replaced by an amateur and the steps require removing the door panel and disconnecting the door handle
2. Bad Wheel Hub Bearing
Symptoms of a Bad Wheel Hub Bearing on the 07-14 Cadillac Escalade
Humming from right or left may while driving that may increase or decrease in volume when turning
Causes of a Bad Wheel Hub Bearing
Wheel bearings wear out over time from use but can also fail from cracks or breaks that allow moisture to seep in, creating friction when turning. They are apart of the wheel hub assembly and when they fail the entire wheel hub assembly needs to be replaced.
How to Fix a Bad Wheel Bearing
- Raise and secure the vehicle with a jack and jack stands
- Grab the tire at the 12 and 6 o’clock position
- Shake the tire in and out and feel for excessive play. The play could be from the ball joint. Have an assistant watch the ball joint for play while moving the tire
- Feel if the rotor is moving into the bracket. If it is when pressing from the 12 and 6 o’clock position, it means play is in the hub bearing, meaning the wheel hub assembly needs to be replaced
3. Enters Reduced Engine Power Mode
Signs of Reduced Engine Power Mode on the 07-14 Cadillac Escalade
- Vehicle goes into engine reduced power mode
- Check engine light correlation code P-2135 (throttle body) and P-2138 (accelerator pedal)
Causes of Reduced Engine Power Mode
The throttle body and accelerator pedal work in tandem and each have a sensor to measure their positions. The sensor on the accelerator pedal, known as the accelerator position sensor, measures the pedals position, and the sensor on the throttle body, known as the throttle position sensor (TPS), measures the throttle body blade’s position. When these sensors measure different positions, the computer turns on the reduced engine power mode.
How to Fix Reduced Engine Power Mode
- Inspect the condition of the wires of each sensor for splitting or breaking
- Inspect the condition of the electrical connectors of each sensor for discoloration or broken terminals
- If the wiring and electrical connectors are fine, the problem is usually a TPS on the throttle body. The sensor or the throttle body can be replaced.
- If the TPS is working, it could be the accelerator pedal’s sensor
4. Broken Heat and Air Conditioning Vent Mode Door Actuators
Symptoms of Heat and AC Door Actuators
- Can’t change heat or fresh air mode
- Air does not flow from certain vents after being directed to
Causes of Bad Heat and Air Conditioning Door Actuators
When adjusting the heating or air conditioning system like temperature or adjusting the air flow, you are instructing the vent mode actuator to control where and how the air comes out. Vent mode actuators can fail over time from use.
How to Fix a Bad Heat or Air Conditioning Door Actuator
- Replacing the actuator consists of disconnecting it and removing the screws
- The air conditioning actuator is located on the driver side above the gas pedal
- One heater vent actuator is located above the HVAC box and another heater venter actuator is located beneath the HVAC box. To access the top heater vent actuator, the glove box needs to be removed. To access the lower heater vent actuator, a lower panel closer to the center console on the passenger side needs to be removed
5. Suspension Problems—Service Suspension System Lights
Symptoms of 07-14 Cadillac Escalade Suspension Problems
- Suspension feels stiff
- Feels like entire vehicle bounces when going over a bump
Causes of Suspension Problems
- Sometimes the front struts lock up, ceasing any movement. If this happens, the front struts need to be replaced.
- Sometimes parts of the rear air suspension system fail
How to Fix Suspension Problems on the 07-14 Cadillac Escalade
- Test the front struts for stiffness by bouncing the vehicle front of the vehicle up and down
- With the vehicle level and on the ground, grab the rear air shocks and if the air bad feels weak, there’s an issue with the air ride system
- Check the compressor for corrosion or cracks, which means the air pump assembly needs to be replaced
- Sometimes codes appear for a bad valve in the compressor that releases air pressure on the exhaust side
- Check the compressor’s wires for splitting or tearing
Shop 3rd Gen 2007-2014 Cadillac Escalade Parts Featured in This Article
- Interior Door Handle
- Exterior Door Handle
- Wheel Hub Assembly
- Throttle Position Sensor (TPS)
- Throttle Body
- Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor
- Vent Mode Actuator
- Front Struts
- Air Suspension Parts
- Does Your GM Need a New Air Suspension Kit?
- Grinding Noise When Driving?
- AC Blows Cold on One Side and Hot on the Other?
- What Are Front Struts?
- When Should Shocks & Struts Be Replaced?
- How Many Miles Do Struts Last?