3rd Generation Chevy Silverado 2500 Problems
The Chevy Silverado 2500 is a powerful truck. While there is nothing particularly wrong with the 3rd gen Silverado 2500, every vehicle comes with its own common problems. Here are the top 5 Chevy Silverado 2500 problems of the 3rd generation, years 2015 to 2019.
Top 5 Problems 3rd Gen Chevy Silverado (2015 to 2019)
1. HVAC Mode Actuator Failure
Symptoms of HVAC Mode Actuator Failure
- Airflow is misdirected and exits out of different vents than commanded
- Cold air flows out of the vents when the heat is on
Causes of Actuator Failure
The HVAC system is the heating and air conditioning system. The actuators that open and close the vent doors to central airflow can fail on the 15-19 Silverado.
How to Fix the Actuators
Replace the actuator. It may be difficult to reach the actuator. Some panels give access to some actuators, but the glove box or other parts of the dash may need to be removed to access other actuators.
2. Seat Haptic Motor Failure
Symptoms of Seat Haptic Motor Failure
- Driver service assist message on the dash
Causes of Seat Haptic Motor Failure
There are motors located on either side of the driver’s seat cushion. The motors turn on sensors in the bumper to warn the driver when the vehicle is too close to a wall or another object.
Most of the time the sensor closest to the door is the one that fails. Its position on the seat makes it prone to movement and pressure, which can break the motor.
How to Fix the Seat Haptic Motor
- Pull the seat up, replace the motor, and clear the code with a scan tool
3. Starter Motor Failure
Symptoms of Starting Problems on the 2015 to 2019 Chevy Silverado 2500
- No start condition or just clicking no cranking
How to Fix the Starter
Change the starter motor from underneath the vehicle.
Check the electrical connections. If the connection is okay, the starter is bad and needs to be replaced.
4. Throttle Body Failure
The throttle body is located at the front of the engine. It allows more air into the engine as the gas pedal is pressed.
Symptoms of Throttle Body Failure
- Engine reduced power light turns on
- Check engine light for code P2135
Causes of Throttle Body Failure
The sensor on the side of the throttle body tends to fail on the 15-19 3rd gen Chevy Silverado.
How to Fix Throttle Body Failure
Check the electrical connectors. Most likely just the throttle body needs replacing.
5. EVAP Purge Valve Failure
Symptoms of EVAP Purge Valve Failure
- No drivability issues
- Check engine light for an EVAP Code
Causes of a Bad EVAP Purge Valve
A bad EVAP purge valve is usually the cause of an EVAP leak on the 3rd gen Silverado 2500. They tend to stick open, which can cause the system to leak or create too much vacuum in the system.
How to Fix a Bad EVAP Purge Valve
Located on the top of the engine. EVAP purge valve opens and closes to supply engine vacuum to the EVAP system.
Usually, you want to check the gas cap first for EVAP codes. Since the Silverado doesn’t have one, check the fuel filler neck for wear that could cause a leak. If the fuel filler neck is worn out, it will need to be replaced.
3rd Generation Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Model Years
- 2015 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Parts
- 2016 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Parts
- 2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Parts
- 2018 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Parts
- 2019 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Parts
- Common 1st Gen Silverado Problems: 1999 to 2007
- The Top 5 Repair Problems on the 2nd Generation Chevy Silverado 2007-2014
- My Car Won’t Start After Getting Gas & How I Fixed It
- Signs of a Bad Starter
- Throttle Body Cleaning Tips [Expert Advice]
- P2135 code: Mechanic advice to diagnose & fix
- Gas Cap Throwing a Check Engine Light? [Diagnose & Fix]