If the seat belt in your car, truck, or SUV is twisted backwards, it can make wearing a seat belt uncomfortable. Fortunately there is an easy way to fix this problem. This article and video shows how to fix a twisted seat belt with no tools in four easy steps.
How to Fix a Twisted Seat Belt in 4 Easy Steps
This repair may range in difficulty depending on how thick the seat belt’s material is, but these steps apply to any vehicle and there is no need to disassemble any parts.
How to fix a twisted seat belt
- Create Slack on the Seat Belt
Pull the seat belt out to create enough slack and move the seat belt freely
- Fold the Seat Belt Over
Take one edge of the seat belt and fold it over to the other edge
- With the Belt Folded Over, Slide the Seat Belt Down until the Belt Flips Over
Keep pulling the seat belt and folding over one edge to the other side. While doing this, slide the seat belt down, and keep sliding it down until the belt completely folds and twists over to the other side
- Let the Seat Belt Readjust Itself
With the belt completely twisted and folded over, let go of the seat belt and let the belt twist back into position and readjust. The belt should now be facing forward in the right direction.
DIY Tips: Learn How to Fix More than a Twisted Seat Belt on Your Car
Learn how to fix more parts yourself with our how-to videos. We have thousands of videos with instructions for repairs on lots of makes and models.
Learn More Tips and Tricks
- Brake Installation Tips: How to Change Brake Pads, Brake Rotors, Brake Calipers, and More Correctly
- How to Install Struts Correctly
- Top 5 2002 to 2006 Cadillac Escalade Problems
- DIY Alignment
- What Is a Wheel Bearing?
- 11 Common Jeep Problems & Complaints – Death Wobble