Windshields can chip for different reasons like a rock kicking up from the road or a wiper arm snapping down too quickly when changing the wiper blades. Luckily your windshield is not doomed if there is a chip in it. Chips in the windshield can be unsightly and can lead to more problems, like moisture freezing inside and later cracking and weakening the surrounding glass, leading to a costlier fix, but this can be prevented if the chips are fixed quickly. This video and article shows how to fix windshield chips quickly and easily yourself.
How to Fix Windshield Chips Yourself
A windshield repair kit can plug and fill windshield cracks to prevent further damage to the windshield.
How to Fix Windshield Chips
- Scrape the chip clean with a razor
Gently scrape the area with a razor to remove any loose particles
- Apply glass cleaner to the suction cup on the repair kit tool
Spray a little glass cleaner to the suction cups to give them some moisture for a solid stick
- Place the tool over the chip with the suction cups surrounding
Place the tool over the chip with the suction cups surrounding the missing glass
- Remove the drive from the tool
Remove the drive to tighten the tool and put the drops on the windshield chip
- Tighten the tool so it touches the windshield
Tighten the tool until it bottoms out against the windshield. The suction cups will lightly lift when it has bottomed out
- Drop 3-5 drops into the tool
Drop 3-5 drops into the tool and let them fill the chipped area in the glass
- Tighten the drive and let it sit for a minute
Tighten the driver all the way in and let it sit for about a minute
- Loosen the driver and wait a second, then tighten the driver and wait 4-6 minutes
Hold the base and loosen the driver. This process will create suction and draw any air in the chip out. With the driver loosened all the way, wait a second and then tighten the driver all the way again. Clean any fluid that spills. Let the tool sit for 4-6 minutes
- Remove the tool
Remove the tool from the chipped area
- Place a protective shield in a dry area for 15 minutes
Clean the area of any fluid surrounding the chip. Leaving a little may help securing the shield and covering all crevices of the chip. Place the protective shield over the chip for 15 minutes. Spread the glue out with a fingernail to straighten it. Let the glue dry in a warm area like outdoors in the sun
- Remove the shield and any excess glue
Remove the shield and scrape off any excess glue with a razor blade
Learn How to Diagnose and Fix Parts Yourself
Learn general automotive tips, diagnostics, and how to replace parts on many makes and models with 1A Auto’s videos that have tips and instructions from professional mechanics.
- How to Fix One Windshield Wiper Not Working
- Skipping, Split, Streaky, or Squeaky Windshield Wipers?
- Windshield Wiper Fluid Not Spraying
- Windshield Wipers Not Working? [Diagnose & Fix]