The Chrysler 300 has existed since 2005. This post reviews the most common Chrysler 300 problems owners have run into with the 2nd generation, years 2011 to 2020.
Video: Top 5 Problems Chrysler 300
Top 5 2nd Gen Chrysler 300 Issues (2011 to 2020)
1. Window Regulator and Motor
Symptoms of a Bad Window Regulator and Motor
- Window is stuck in the up or down position
Causes of a Bad Window Regulator and Motor
The window regulator and power window motor are the most common problems for issues with the windows working.
How to Fix a Bad Window Regulator and Motor
Remove the door panel to access the window regulator and the power window motor
2. Steering Column Squeak
Symptoms of Steering Column Squeak
- Squeak at the base of the steering column when turning the steering wheel
Causes of Steering Column Squeak
The lower steering shaft seal can dry out and cause a squeaking noise.
How to Fix Steering Column Squeak
Remove the kick panel to access the steering shaft that’s located through the firewall. Lubricate the seal on the lower steering shaft, which should eliminate the noise.
3. Transmission Shifting Problems
Symptoms of Transmission Shifting Problems on the 2nd Gen Chrysler 300
- Rough shifting or stutter in between shifting gears
Causes of Transmission Shifting Problems
This is caused by a programming issue with the transmission.
How to Fix Transmission Shifting Problems
Bring the 300 to a Chrysler dealership or a shop that can program vehicles and they will update it.
4. Carbon Build Up on Valves
Symptoms of Carbon Build Up on Valves
- Check engine light is on and flashing for a P0300 code
- Engine misfires
Causes of Carbon Build Up on Valves
Carbon build up on the valves tends to cause a flashing check engine light and misfires on the 2nd gen Chrysler 300.
How to Fix Carbon Build Up on Valves
This happens to a lot of vehicles, especially ones that are direct injected. Replace the valve spring retainers. Chrysler has updated the valve spring retainers to prevent this problem.
5. Heating and Air Conditioning System (HVAC) System Odor
Symptoms of HVAC System Odor Problems on the 2011 to 2020 Chrysler 300
- Musty odor emitting from the vents, usually after using the AC
Causes of HVAC System Odor
Moisture builds up on the evaporative core and causes the odor
How to Fix HVAC System Odor
Dodge released a cleaner disinfectant coating to apply the evaporative core
2nd Generation Chrysler 300 Model Years
- 2011 Chrysler 300
- 2012 Chrysler 300
- 2013 Chrysler 300
- 2014 Chrysler 300
- 2015 Chrysler 300
- 2016 Chrysler 300
- 2017 Chrysler 300
- 2018 Chrysler 300
- 2019 Chrysler 300
- 2020 Chrysler 300
- Top 5 2005 to 2010 Chrysler 300C Problems: 8th Generation
- Why Are My Power Windows Working Intermittently?
- Why Is My Power Window Not Working?
- Car Window Won’t Go Up?
- My Car Window Won’t Roll Up or Down