Common first-generation Chevy Avalanche problems include a tailgate that won’t latch, a tailgate with a broken handle that won’t open, or faded plastic panels that need restoration. All vehicles have their common problems, so our experts went over the top problems owners experience with the Chevy Avalanche, some of their causes, and how to fix them.Read More
The Nissan Sentra is a daily driver for many, and there’s nothing wrong with buying or owning one, but different car models usually come with different kinds of problems. A Nissan Sentra with problems like stalling or misfiring might be more common than you think. We cover the top problems owners experience with the 7th generation Nissan Sentra, years 2013-2019, and what each of these common problems’ symptoms, causes, and fixes are.Read More
1994-2004 Chevy S10 common problems include intermittent starting, an S10 that won’t start after sitting, an S10 that turns over but won’t start, and other issues like fuel pump problems. Find out their symptoms, causes and fixes as we explore the top problems on the 2nd generation of Chevy S10 trucks, also known as the Chevy S-10 or Chevy S-series.Read More
The Z is a classic sports car with generations spanning for decades. As with any vehicle, each generation has common issues, and in this article, we review the signs, causes, and fixes for the most common problems with the 6th generation Nissan 370Z, years 2009-2020.
Top 5 Issues 6th Gen Nissan 370Z (2009-2020)
1. Concentric Slave Cylinder (CSC) Failure
Symptoms of CSC Failure
- Clutch pedal stays depressed and 370Z won’t go into gear after trying to shift
- Sometimes the 370Z doesn’t pull out of gear when driving
- If the two symptoms above occur, the brake master cylinder and clutch reservoir will be low on fluid and probably leaking underneath. Clutch fluid might be leaking outside of the driver side of the transmission housing, near the hose and bleeder valve, where the slave cylinder is located.
Causes of CSC Failure
Concentric slave cylinder failure on the Nissan 370Z is usually caused by low or leaking clutch fluid, which can wear out parts and create other problems like a worn clutch.
How to Fix CSC Failure
- If the slave cylinder is broken and needs replacing, the clutch likely needs to be replaced and the flywheel likely needs to be resurfaced and replaced. Consider replacing the bad slave cylinder with a heavy duty slave cylinder
- Sometimes a clutch fluid flush will fix CSC failure on the 09-20 Z. Refill the system with DOT 4 clutch fluid because it has a better temperature rating for the transmission than the DOT 3 fluid inside
2. Rear Axle Click
Symptoms of Rear Axle Click
Clicking sound from the rear wheel when it is turning
Causes of Rear Axle Click on the 09-20 370Z
The axle nut on the 370Z and its retainer stretch apart and loosen despite the extra security from the cotter pin
How to Fix Rear Axle Click
Purchase a specially-designed aftermarket nut that has locks built in so it can be torqued without loosening
3. Fuel Starvation
Symptoms of Fuel Starvation on the 370Z
Engine spits and sputters when driving
Causes of Fuel Starvation
Low fluid in the fuel tank can move around and cause the fuel tank to draw in air
How to Fix Fuel Starvation
Prevent fuel starvation on the 370Z by keeping the gas tank closer to FULL
4. Steering Wheel Lock—Faulty Steering Lock Mechanism
Symptoms of Steering Wheel Lock
370Z may enter accessory mode but won’t start and the steering wheel won’t unlock
Causes of Steering Wheel Lock
A broken electronic steering control lockout (ESCL) module can keep the steering wheel from unlocking. If the steering wheel can’t unlock, the 370Z won’t start.
How to Fix Steering Wheel Lock
- A potential temporary fix to unlock the steering wheel is to tap the ESCL module for a few times with a solid object like a smart phone.
- A long-term fix is to replace the ESCL module
5. High Oil Consumption
Symptoms of High Oil Consumption
Engine ticking/knocking, especially when accelerating
Causes of 370Z High Oil Consumption
Low oil level causes high oil consumption. If the oil level is not low, see if the engine is near the oil change interval
How to Fix High Oil Consumption
- Adding a little engine oil might help reduce the ticking noise if the 370Z is not due for an oil change soon
- If the 370Z is under warranty, the dealer can run an oil consumption test to see how much is consumed by mileage over time. The 370Z will most likely get a new engine small block if it’s within the expectations
- If the 370Z is not under warranty, try installing an oil catch can and keep up with oil change intervals
Fix Your Own Nissan 370Z with 1A Auto’s How-to Videos
Fix your own Nissan 370Z, another Nissan, or a different car with 1A Auto’s how-to videos. We have thousands of installation, repair, diagnosis and informative videos for many different years, makes, and models in 1A Auto’s video library
- Excessive Oil Consumption: Why It Happens, How to Prevent It, and How to Fix It
- How Often Should You Change Your Oil? Every 3,000 Miles?
- Why is My Car Leaking Oil?
- Clicking Noise While Driving? Diagnose and Fix Bad CV Axles
- OEM vs Aftermarket Auto Parts
Model Years of the 6th Generation Nissan 370Z (2009-2020)
Tips on How to Use an OBD2 Scanner to Diagnose Car Issues
If the check engine light is on, a car tester or an OBD2 scan tool is necessary for diagnosing the problem. No matter your level of expertise, a scan tool is needed to communicate with the on-board diagnostic system (OBD II) and diagnose problems on your vehicle.Read More
How to Diagnose and Fix a Bad Lock Actuator
If you go to unlock your car door with the remote and find the interior car door lock is stuck in the unlocked or locked position even after pressing the button a few times, it can be concerning. Power door locks should work and a car door that won’t lock or unlock is an obvious safety concern and nuisance. Even if the doors won’t lock or unlock with a remote key or key fob, there are solutions and chances are in this case it’s a bad door lock actuator. This article will explain why this happens with defective door lock actuators, how to confirm a broken door lock actuator is the cause, and how to replace one to solve this problem.Read More
Learn to Diagnose and Fix the Codes Behind the Check Engine Light
Is your service engine soon light on? First of all, this light has a few different names and we will go into more detail about that later, but all the service engine soon lights have the same function. They let you know there is something wrong with your car.
Not sure what it means or what to do? Find out why the check engine light comes on, what it means when the check engine light is on, and how to fix a check engine light with these tips from our mechanics.