A 2nd gen Cadillac SRX with problems like the headlights or sunroof leaking is common for this generation. Many vehicles come with their own set of problems. Here’s the top 5 problems owners have reportedly found on the 2010 to 2015 Cadillac SRX.
Top 5 Issues on the 2nd Generation Cadillac SRX (2010-2015)
1. Condensation in Headlights
Symptoms of Headlight Condensation Problems on the 2010 to 2015 Cadillac SRX
- Foggy inside the headlight
- Water droplets inside the headlight
- Puddle inside the headlight
Causes of Headlight Condensation Problems
A little condensation is normal but it can build over time from leaks.
How to Fix Headlight Condensation Problems
Turn the high beams on and let it run to remove some of the condensation.
If the condensation doesn’t evaporate and puddles in the headlight, replace the headlight.
2. Timing Chain Problems
Symptoms of Timing Chain Problems
- Check engine light for the timing chain
Causes of Timing Chain Problems
The timing chain can stretch over time
How to Fix Timing Chain Problems
If the chain is stretched, replace it
To prevent the chain from stretching, change the oil regularly and with proper oil.
3. Engine Problems like Engine Running Rough at Idle
Symptoms of Common Engine Problems on the 10-15 Cadillac SRX
- Engine running rough at idle
Causes of Common Engine Problems
- Carbon build-up on the throttle body
- Faulty MAF sensor
- Dirty engine air filter
How to Fix Common Engine Problems
- Disconnect the air intake tube and clean the throttle body with throttle body cleaner
- Disconnect the MAF sensor and clean it with MAF sensor cleaner
- If the engine air filter is dirty, replace it
On the 10-15 Cadillac SRX, after the repair is completed, the engine will need to complete an idle relearn with the proper scan tool
4. Liftgate Problems
Symptoms of Liftgate Problems on the 2010 to 2015 Cadillac SRX
- Automatic liftgate doesn’t open or open all the way
Causes of Liftgate Problems
- The button or switch might be on a different setting
- Liftgate struts are weaker or broken
How to Fix Liftgate Problems
First check the switch on the door and confirm it hasn’t been set to the OFF position. Switching it to the MAX setting will allow the liftgate to open all the way.
If it’s faulty or weak liftgate struts causing the issue, it’s fairly easy to replace them yourself.
5. Sun Roof Leaks
Symptoms of Sun Roof Leaks
- Leaks from around the outside of the sun roof
- Wet carpet
- Wet seats
Causes of Sun Roof Leaks
Seals can weaken and let excessive water into the drainage channels. If too much water leaks inside the channels, it can leak inside the cab.
How to Fix Sun Roof Leaks
You can test for leaks by pouring water and seeing if it enters the cab.
If there are no apparent leaks, check the drains from outside the vehicle by removing the inner fender well and seeing if the drain is clogged. Remove the pillars and make sure the tubes are connected.
Parts Featured in This Article
- Headlight Assemblies
- Timing Belts, Timing Chains & Components
- Throttle Body & Related
- Air Filters
- Mass Air Flow Sensor
- Hood & Hatch Lift Supports
- Why Is There Moisture in My Headlight?
- Timing Belts Vs. Timing Chains
- Throttle Body Cleaning Tips [Expert Advice]
- 10 Easy Car Repairs You Didn’t Know You Could Do Yourself
- How to Test a MAF Sensor